Friday, March 14, 2014

Recipe :: Thomas Keller Oreos


One experience that is high on my bucket list: eating and drinking my way through California's Wine Country.  When I do, I will most definitely be visiting Thomas Keller's famed The French Laundry for dinner and stopping by his Bouchon Bakery {at least once} for breakfast.  Knowing this, my best friends mom bought me a signed copy of Keller's beautiful Bouchon Bakery cookbook for my birthday last year.  I spent hours just flipping through the amazing photos and reading about Keller's life.  However, his recipes are very, very detailed and complex...so for the past 9 months it has remained unused as I was honestly extremely intimidated to dive it.  But, after our trip to NYC this past Christmas and visiting Bouchon first hand, I realized how unbelievably amazing his treats were and knew I had to give one of them a shot.  So, I decided to take a stab at my favorite treat, his famed TKOs {aka Thomas Keller Oreos}.  

The chocolate shortbread cookies themselves turned out absolutely fantastic.  Seriously, you know a cookie is going to be good when you are literally nauseated by consuming so. much. dough.  The creme was made with a white chocolate ganache, and to be honest, didn't turn out quite as I had planned.  I am absolutely sure that this was due to a mistake on my end {I didn't have quite the right amount of white chocolate, wasn't able to weigh my ingredients, etc.}, because if you read the reviews on Amazon it is clear that Keller is a genius and his recipes {if followed correctly} are foolproof.  It was my first take at ganache so I expected that it wouldn't turn out quite perfect.  But, trust me...if made correctly these babies are unstoppable!

PS - If you haven't entered to win a gorgeous print of your choice from Hannah Gentiles, don't forget to do so here!

TKOs {recipe via The Bouchon Bakery Cookbook}

WHITE CHOCOLATE FILLING
4.4 ounces (125 grams) white chocolate, chopped
0.5 ounces (15 grams) unsalted butter
1/2 cup + 1 teaspoon (125 grams) heavy cream

CHOCOLATE SHORTBREAD
1 3/4 cups + 1 1/2 tablespoons (259 grams) all-purpose flour
1 cup + 1 1/2 tablespoons (87 grams) unsweetened alkalized cocoa powder
3/8 teaspoon (1.6 grams) baking soda
8 ounces (227 grams) unsalted butter
2 teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt
3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon (161 grams) granulated sugar
3 inch fluted cookie cutter {I used this}
Pastry bag with a *recommended* 3/16-inch plain tip

FOR THE FILLING
Melt the chocolate and butter together, stirring constantly.  Meanwhile, bring the cream to just under a simmer.  Pour the cream over the melted chocolate and whisk to combine.  Pour into a container and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or up to 1 day, until completely chilled.

FOR THE SHORTBREAD
Place the fliur in a medium bowl, sift in the cocoa and baking soda, and whisk to combine.  Place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitter with the paddle attachment.  Turn to medium-low speed and mix until smooth.  Add the salt and mix for another 15-30 seconds.  Add the sugar and mix for about 2 minutes, until fluffy.  Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.

Add the dry ingredients in 2 additions, mixing on low speed for 15-30 seconds after each, or just until combined, then mix until the dough begins to come together.  

Mound the dough on the work surface and, using the heel of your hand or a pastry scraped, push it go ether into a square block.  Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, until firm.  (The dough can be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month).

Position the racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.  Line two sheet pans with parchment paper.

Unwrap the dough and place it between two pieces of plastic wrap.  With a rolling pin, pound or roll out the dough to flatten it, turning at 90 degree angles frequently (to prevent the dough from cracking as it's rolled).  Roll out to a 1/8-inch-thick sheet.

Using the fluted cutter, cut rounds from the dough.  If necessary, push the trimmings together, refrigerate until firm, and reroll for a total of 16 rounds.  If the dough softens, return to the refrigerator until the cookies are firm.  Arrange the rounds on the pans with about /4 inch between them.

Bake for 15-17 min, turning the pans around halfway through, until the cookies are fragrant with small cracks on the surface (because the cookies are so dark, it can be difficult to tell when they are done).  Set the pans on a cooling rack and cool for 5 - 10 minutes, then transfer cookies to the rack to cool completely.

TO ASSEMBLE
Place the filling in a bowl and beat until smooth.  Transfer to the pastry bag.  Turn half of the cookies over.  Pipe 1/2-inch long teardrops in a ring on each one, beginning 1/8 inch from the edges of the cookie, and then working toward the center to cover the cookie.  Top each with a second cookie and press gently to sandwich the cookies.  Enjoy!

26 comments:

  1. Oh my god these look insane! As soon as lent is over and I'm back to eating sweets... :)

    xo Lily
    http://whilemyboyfriendsaway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, your photos are to die for. Second, how did you manage to actually sandwich these cookies? I would have just eaten the biscuits! And third, it's a good sign when a cookie doesn't fit in its milk glass... it means it's big enough to make your heart happy (that's a true life lesson there) :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a treat! and yes, you take such great photos!

    - morg harp nich
    friday instagram link up at morgharpnich.com if you want to join! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! If these taste as good as they look, I'm sold! I'm impressed with how well thy turned out given that this was your first attempt. I love your cake stand. Who makes it? I've been o the hunt for one that I can use every day. Mine is too fancy.


    www.taffetaandtulips.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO impressed... that is no simple feat! I'm sure they are still delicious :) And that book-- new coffee table book, please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a HUGE baker but I'm scared to death of complex recipes. You've just inspired me to give it a try :) Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow this looks so good! thanks for sharing the recipe!


    lifeisashoe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum yum yum!!! Gosh, oreos are my weakness! I love the idea of making them yourself! I'll have to bookmark this recipe - thanks for sharing, friend! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried making oreos once, and it was a complete disaster :-) Yours look absolutely delicious, and I love that adorable whale glass!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christine DinsmoreMarch 14, 2014 at 4:00 PM

    based on his script alone it doesn't look he does anything with much simplicity, but what a wonderful way to sign books! so pretty. it should be a requirement for all authors ;) your photos are beautiful, they look like they could be in the book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so scrumptious. Quite an ambitious project. Save me one!
    Your photography just gets better and better

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, get in my tummy!! So scrumptious :)
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG OMG OMG GIVE MEEEEE! Ok, I am off to have breakfast now, drooling right here :D
    Edita
    www.pret-a-reporter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you lily! these are definitely worthy of being your first sweet after lent :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you so much supal! the recipe ended up making quite a few more biscuits than there was ganache, so don't worry...i definitely ate a few in the process :) and what a brilliant life lesson, i can see that printed and framed in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi kate! thanks so much for the sweet comment. my cake stand was actually my grandmothers. but if you look on etsy for a vintage milk glass cake stand you should find several :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you so much monica! i know, the book is almost too pretty to use. i kept it out of the kitchen when i was baking...didn't want to get a bunch of flour on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i'm the same way, but typically find as long as i have the time and the patience most recipes are do-able. when i'm rushing through it is when i end up with disastrous results :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. ooooh my goodness if you like oreos you will love love these. or if you want to cheat, i know there is a bouchon bakery in NYC :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you so much gloria! i got it a few years ago from anthropologie, it's by molly hatch. i love her illustrations :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL yes, the script is definitely representative of his recipes...they are quite complicated {but if they are all like these oreos then so worth it!} thank you so much for the sweet comment christine :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL thank you edita!
    i may or may not have eaten a few of these for breakfast myself :)

    ReplyDelete