Thursday, March 20, 2014

Recipe :: Spring Asparagus and Gruyère Tart


Happy first day of Spring!  Today I wanted to share with you one of my favorite recipes for an indulgent Spring Asparagus and Gruyère Tart that always impresses without actually being much work at all.  Perhaps it's the homemade crust, but guests always think that I slaved for in the kitchen for hours when in actuality this recipe takes about 20-30 minutes max of hands on time.  It can be varied based on what you have in your refrigerator {I'm envisioning feta + sweet potato, broccoli + cheddar, kale + leek...} and is great served for brunch, lunch, or dinner paired with lightly dressed greens.  For an added treat, roast a handful of grape tomatoes with a little olive oil and serve on top of the tart...I promise you won't be disappointed!

Spring Asparagus and Gruyère Tart {recipe adapted from Clodagh McKenna's 'Homemade'}

PASTRY
5 tablespoons chilled butter, diced
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
approx. 1/3 cup cold water

FILLING
18 thin asparagus spears (approx. 10oz)
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup grated Gruyère
1/2 cup half and half
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Fresh basil loosely chopped

INSTRUCTIONS
Start by making the pastry.  Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour, then add enough cold water to bring the pastry dough together.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Once the pastry has chilled, roll it out using a wooden rolling pin and line a 9 1/2 inch tart pan {I have this one}, pressing the dough down firmly and trimming off the excess pastry around the edge of the pan.  Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.

While the pastry is baking, rinse the asparagus spears and slice them in half.  Beat together the eggs, cheese, and half and half, and season with salt and black pepper.

Pour the egg mixture into the tart and arrange the asparagus spears on top.  Sprinkle with fresh basil.  Bake the tart at the same temperature for a further 40 minutes or until the center looks and feels golden brown.




28 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! This looks amazing!! I will definitely be attempting this recipe. Thank you for sharing!


    www.PolishedClosets.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! So it's kind of like a quiche I suppose? I'm glad I just had a huge lunch otherwise I'd be crying from food jealousy right now! I might make it this weekend for my family (but will probably use pre-made pastry.. oops!) xxx
    www.la-lingua.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some fab culinary skills... and this recipe looks absolutely incredible! All the ingredients sound amazing, especially the gruyère cheese. Yum! Happy spring, lovey!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandyn | Southern DistinctionMarch 20, 2014 at 12:01 PM

    Gruyere is a personal fav! This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Asparagus + cheese - a couple of my favourite things to eat in one! The dish looks delicious, I would never guess it's so easy and quick to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy! I am been dieing to make and eat a quiche. I might try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, this looks AMAZING. I've never made a quiche but maybe it's time I attempt one!


    seeshopeatdo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had Molly's asparagus tart. It's truly delicious. Beautiful photography, Molly

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is all my favorite things in one dish! Yum! i will definitely be making this very soon. Perfect for spring (if it ever decides to show up here!)
    I would love to feature this post on our blog tomorrow. I hope that's okay. We will be sure to link back to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi there! i'm so glad you liked my recipe :) of course you can post it on your blog, thanks for thinking of me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. totally up my alley. I pinned this one. I adore homemade shells and pastries...never ever store bought..ew! This looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful tart! Tarts like these with a buttery homemade crust are definitely my favorite treat for a special brunch. Great way to ring in the new season!
    http://liveitinerantly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG- you had me at Gruyere honey! I could eat this for bfast, lunch, dinner and twice for dessert! Did I mention I loves me some cheese??? Beautiful presentation!

    xo-Julie

    Peace. Love. LOL!



    Haute Khuuture Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I'm getting hungry! This would be perfect for an Easter brunch! Beautiful photos!


    www.taffetaandtulips.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you kate! i actually made it last year for a mother's day brunch, and it was a huge hit! plus you can make it the day before and just reheat in the oven which is always a plus in my book :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. lol i definitely am in the same boat as you julie! i can never. never. never. have enough cheese :) thank you so much for the sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you quyen! i made this for mother's day brunch last year and it was a huge hit :) i'm such a sucker for a good crust!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh i know, they always have a weird metallic taste to me.
    homemade all the way :) thanks for the sweet comment albertina!

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks whitney! this is definitely one of the easiest {and best} i have made...i would definitely recommend trying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you kristin, if you do definitely let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  21. thank you alina, i totally agree which is why it is one of my favorite recipes :) we go through a couple pounds of asparagus every week over here!

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh i know, i love how rich and nutty the flavor is. and it melts to perfection :)
    thanks so much for the sweet comment brandyn!

    ReplyDelete
  23. awe, thank you so much veronika! i have to say that posting recipes on my blog has definitely inspired me to take it up another level in the kitchen...i'm always trying something new :) have a great weekend dear!

    ReplyDelete
  24. hi lucy! thanks so much for the sweet comment. yes, it is like a quiche but uses less eggs and a little more cream to give it a consistency that is a little lighter and fluffier {kind of somewhere between traditional quiche and custard}. if you make it let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  25. thank you so much maggie!
    if you make it i'd love to hear what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. thank you so so much julie! the weather is sunny and warm today here in indianapolis, hope it's a little warmer for you in WI this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow. This looks so yummy I haven't had asparagus in foreverrrrrrr. <3

    ReplyDelete