Friday, April 4, 2014

Recipe :: Spring Asparagus Risotto with a Fried Egg


One of my favorite go-to's when I "don't have anything to make for dinner" is risotto.  It can be made about a million and one ways {I love it with butternut squash in the fall and kale in the winter}, but I think it really shines with fresh spring produce.  While cleaning out the refrigerator before we left for vacation I found that I had a bunch of fresh asparagus and basil that needed to be eaten.  That, plus some eggs, frozen organic vegetables, and a few pantry staples, ended up making a delicious dinner for two!  Feel free to modify with your favorite vegetables, cheeses, etc.  

Spring Asparagus Risotto with a Fried Egg
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS
1 cup arborio rice
3 cups organic chicken {or vegetable} broth - approx
1.5 cups dry white wine - approx
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 red onion, chopped
3 garlic clove, minced
4 large eggs
Kosher salt
Fresh cracked pepper
Olive oil
1 pound spring asparagus
3/4 cup frozen organic peas, thawed in warm water
1/2 cup frozen organic corn, thawed in warm water
Fresh basil, chopped
Grated Parmesan cheese

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Bring chicken broth to a boil in a medium sauce pan, then reduce to a simmer.  Meanwhile, heat butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat.  Add chopped onion and sauté for two minutes.  Add arborio rice and sauté until golden brown and slightly translucent.

Alternating between hot chicken broth and white wine, add 1/2 cup of liquid to risotto and stir until reduced.  When the liquid has been absorbed, continue to add more, until the risotto is soft, creamy, and will not absorb any more liquid {typically takes about 20 minutes, you may need more or less liquid than the quantities listed above}.

Meanwhile, break the tips off the asparagus and cut into medium-sized pieces.  Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast in the oven for about 10-15 minutes {you want to make sure the asparagus are still bright green and crisp, yet slightly tender}.

Three minutes before the asparagus are ready heat a skillet over high heat and drizzle with olive oil.  Cook the eggs to your liking {I typically fry mine for about three minutes on one side then flip over and cook for another 10 seconds}.  Remove from heat.

Remove asparagus from oven and toss with risotto.  Add drained peas and corn and toss.  Add parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper to taste.  To serve, sprinkle with fresh basil and top with a fried egg.  Bon appétit!

35 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely amazing. I'm not a big breakfast eater OR cook, but my goodness. This dish might make one out of me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of risotto and asparagus so this sounds perfect! And of course my husband would love the fried egg :)


    www.taffetaandtulips.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put fried eggs on EVERYTHING :) can't go wrong

    xo Lily
    http://whilemyboyfriendsaway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks perfectly yummy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously need to make this ASAP!

    Eleventh & Sixteenth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! It looks very yummy ... I need to try it ... Thanks for sharing

    Margaret

    http://decordesireforbeauty.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious - I love risotto! It's a good feeling to be able to use up all those bits and pieces in the fridge and not let things go to waste!


    Charlie x
    http://impulsory.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, could this dish look any more delicious? I love the vibrancy, the colours, the use of ingredients - and the egg! Yummy indeed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowsa that look incredible.

    Sophie x

    Http://your-girl-is-lovely.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks delicious. i must try this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have some asparagus I need to use up so I think I know what we are having for dinner tomorrow. It looks awesome. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Risotto is one of my favorite things to make and I agree its so easy to mix it up with whatever is in season. I love the idea of adding a fried egg on top. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jen Dang @ Skirt The RulesApril 7, 2014 at 12:33 AM

    This looks AMAZING! I've never made risotto before, but I'll definitely try out your recipe!

    xo Jen
    Skirt The Rules

    ReplyDelete
  15. Short and Sweet BlogApril 7, 2014 at 1:25 AM

    Oh my goodness this looks incredible. Man I already had dinner tonight, but now I want to make a second one! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you meg! i actually made this for dinner...i just added the egg for a little protein since i don'e eat a lot of meat :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh i know, i added it so that my boyfriend didn't complain about the lack of meat :) plus...that runny yolk makes a prettttty delicious sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  18. me too! i have been loving them on salads. the runny yolk makes everything so much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. thank you sarah! i recently started adding eggs to more of my dishes for a little extra protein, since i don't each much meat...and i have to say it has been a very welcome addition :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you kim!
    let me know what you think if you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. thank you so much margaret!
    hope you're having a lovely monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. thank you charlie! i completely agree with you about using all the left over bits in the fridge. plus, i always try to extend my grocery trips as long as possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. thank you so much alina!
    the runny yolk made a pretty delicious sauce, if i must say so myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. thank you so much sophie!
    i hope you're having a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. hi rachel, thanks so much for the sweet comment!
    did you end up making the risotto? if so, you have to let me know what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. i have been adding egg to a lot of our dishes lately because we don't each much meat, so it adds that extra protein plus the runny yolk makes a pretty delicious sauce :) hope you had a wonderful weekend dear albertina!

    ReplyDelete
  27. thank you so much for the sweet comment!
    i hope you are having a wonderful monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. thank you so much jen!
    let me know what you think if you make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yummy! I love asparagus. I Germany is asparagus season now and we traditionally eat it with sauce hollandaise, cooked potatoes and kind of ham. Ok, I know what I'm cooking tomorrow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This look like a great recipe, cannot wait to try.

    ReplyDelete