Thursday, April 17, 2014

Recipe :: Pan-Roasted Chicken with Carrots and Almonds


I stumbled across this recipe in Bon Appétit a few months ago, and since then it has become one of our favorite weeknight dinners.  For me, when I'm wanting to prepare an easy dinner, the fewer ingredients a recipe requires the better.  We almost always have a couple boneless organic chicken breasts in the fridge, a handful of almonds in the pantry, and a bunch carrots in the refrigerator...so this recipe is a perfect way for me to make a delicious meal on a budget.  Plus the fact that we are now starting to see fresh carrots at the farmers market?  Even better!  Note, by the time dinner was ready it was dark outside, and we all know what food photography looks like with bad lighting {SCARY!}.  So to shield your eyes I simply used the photograph from the magazine :)

Pan-Roasted Chicken with Carrots and Almonds {recipe via Bon Appétit}
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS
1 pound small carrots (about 12), peeled
1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
4 skin-on, bone-in (or boneless) chicken breasts
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 small shallot, finely chopped
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh tarragon

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 375°. Toss carrots, almonds, and 2 tablespoons oil on a large rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast, tossing occasionally, until carrots are tender, 15-20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken, skin side down, until golden brown, 5-8 minutes. Turn chicken over, transfer skillet to oven, and roast until cooked through, 10-15 minutes longer.

While chicken and carrots are roasting, mix yogurt and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

Remove chicken and carrots from oven; transfer chicken to a large plate. Add carrots, shallot, and tarragon to skillet and toss to coat in pan drippings. Serve with lemon yogurt.

15 comments:

  1. I got my fiancé a subscription to Bon Appetit for Valentine's Day, and I've never seen someone get so excited over a magazine the way he does when it's delivered. I love the photography, everything is so moody and blue --not that I can cook at all. That's his job ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing! I love trying new recipes and this one looks healthy and delish!

    Maggie
    www.PolishedClosets.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so fresh! I love tarragon and chives so this definitely appeals to me. Plus, it looks so simple to make! I know what you mean about taking pictures at night....natural light is always the best!


    www.taffetaandtulips.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious...and I love tarragon. Also, such a fan that it is in one pan. Win, win for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is looks delicious. I am all for easy and quick meals, I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this recipe! Looks amazing and so easy to prepare as well. I'll try it on the boyfriend next week ;-)

    xx

    Valerie

    http://sundaesbest.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you valerie!
    if you make it, let me know what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my gosh that sounds AMAZING!
    i'll have to try it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you so much dear, i couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks erika, totally agree with you! i haven't had a dishwasher since graduating college {we have always lived in old rental homes} so the less dishes a recipe requires the better :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you kate!! it is seriously SO easy and SO yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. my uncle gave me the subscription for Christmas a few years ago and i totally understand his excitement...i love the writing, the recipes, the layouts, and the photography :) that and travel & leisure are two of my favorite mags :)

    ReplyDelete