Thursday, February 13, 2014

Recipe :: Berry Crumbles


My Mom's specialty has always been her Apple Pie.  Flakey, buttery, and the perfect combination of sweet and tart, it is the highlight of any holiday feast.  However, my Dad's take on the fruit-filled dessert {his favorite} is a more simple but equally delicious cobbler {I believe the recipe he used was from the infamous 1970's cookbook "The Vegetarian Epicure"}.  Over the years I have eaten countless cobblers with my dad, and because of that whenever I make one I can't help but feel like I'm back at home having a '24' marathon with my him {we were totally addicted}.

I love a good cobbler because it is easy to adjust the portion size {Ryan and I definitely don't need to finish an entire pie just the two of us} and the topping is much less labor intensive to make than a homemade pie crust.  For those nights where you finish dinner and decide you just need something sweet to finish up the meal, you can prepare and bake it in a little over an hour...just the right amount of time to get cuddled up on the couch with a good book or movie.  Is there much better than a spontaneous dessert?  I think not.

Today I want to share with you my recipe for a super simple Berry Crumble, the perfect sweet treat for you and your Valentine {these Chocolate Pots de Creme being another irresistible option}.  I adapted the recipe from my trusty "Barefoot Contessa at Home," cookbook...swapping peaches and blueberries for a combination of blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries.  Feel free to change out the fruit based on what's in season or in your fridge.  Serve with a scoop of ice cream and celebrate love!

Berry Crumbles {recipe adapted from "Barefoot Contessa at Home"}
Serves 5-6

FOR THE FRUIT
2 pounds mixed berries {I used Trader Joe's frozen berries, but any combination of fresh works too}
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup granualted sugar
1/4 cup all-pupose flour

FOR THE CRUMBLE
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 pound (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place berries in a large bowl {if using frozen, make sure they are dethawed}.   Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, granulated sugar, and flour.  Toss well.  Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes.  Spoon the mixture into ramekins or custard cups.

For the topping, combine the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.  Mix on low speed until the butter is the size of peas.  Rub the mixture with your fingertips until it's in big crumbles, then sprinkle evenly over the fruit and bake for 40-45 minutes, until the tops are browned and crisp and the juices are bubbly.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

If you want to make these early, store the unbaked crumbles in the refrigerator and bake before dinner.  Enjoy!

27 comments:

  1. This looks great! Just pinned it :) As much as I love the fruit, I looove the crumble and usually want more than the recommended amount. I've never made it from scratch, so can't wait to try. Also- SO COOL that your dad was published!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Berry crumble/crisp and apple crisp are my all-time favorite desserts. The combination of warm fruit and crunchy, sugary topping? Mmm. My mom always makes the Joy of Cooking apple crisp recipe, but this past summer she experimented and made a rhubarb and strawberry version. To die for. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cobbler - that cookbook is an old standard - used it many times over the years for great food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Berry Crumble is the perfect comfort food when it's cold and wet outside. The cinnamon will add a lovely flavour. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely amazing. I am very impressed with your baking skills! The barefoot contessa makes some extremely wonderful food. Can't wait to read more posts about cooking and baking from you, dear!

    rae from lovefromberlin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy stuff! Great photo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks absolutely delicious!! Happy Valentine's day :)

    http://bellapummarola.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an amazing pic!! I would seriously just eat that crumbly top into infinity...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! I just might have to try this! At a B&B once, the owner lady made us a warm berry crumble for breakfast, which surprisingly hit the spot in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rachel / ElephantineFebruary 14, 2014 at 4:14 PM

    yum! for some reason I've never baked a cobbler... though I've enjoyed eating many. I'll keep yours bookmarked :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my scrumptious!!! I want to make this ASAP!
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love berries and eat them almost daily (well when they're in season), but I must admit that the crumble seem so indulgent! happy weekend, molly! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that looks soo good! I'm definitley going to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks so much michelle!
    you will have to let me know how you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you supal, i hope you had a lovely weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. it was so good, definitely happy that i made just two individual portions...if i would have made the full amount it would have been impossible not to eat it all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. they are so easy to make i'd definitely recommend it for one of those nights you just don't have time to make a full pie :) hope you had a lovely weekend rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  18. that sounds like an absolutely perfect breakfast!
    hope you had a lovely valentine's day weekend shannon :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. it was very hard not to :)
    thanks so much for the nice comment todd!

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you bella, i hope you had a wonderful valentine's day as well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. thank you so much for the sweet words rae!
    i completely agree with you, the bare food contessa has never led me astray :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. rhubarb + strawberry is such a wonderful combination, love how well the sweet/tart flavors work together. i will definitely give that a shot this summer when they are in season :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL i totally agree with you, and sometimes it is hard for me not to eat the crumble before i even sprinkle it on the fruit...i am such a sucker for raw dough of any kind!

    ReplyDelete
  24. this was so delicious! love that i get to be the little guinea pig for all your recipes :)

    ReplyDelete