Thursday, February 20, 2014

Recipe :: Tuscan-Style Marinated Chicken with Couscous

Inspired by my post earlier this week about Italy, I wanted to share with you another one of my favorite healthy go-to recipes, Tuscan-Style Marinated Chicken with Couscous from Clodagh McKenna's cookbook "Homemade."  I admit, I may or may not have purchased this cookbook because of it's adorable typography, casual layout, and bright pink spine...but I have absolutely loved every recipe I have tried out of it.  This is one of my favorites as it is one of those dishes that is super easy to put together and great to keep in the fridge for those times when you feel too rushed to pull together a quick meal.  The chicken can easily be omitted for all you veggie's out there and substituted with a hearty vegetable or tofu.  

Tuscan-Style Marinated Chicken with Couscous {recipe via Clodagh McKenna's "Homemade"}
Serves 4

FOR THE MARINADE
1 c. olive oil
5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
2 chicken breasts, free range or organic if possible

FOR THE COUSCOUS
1 generous cup couscous {I like to use whole wheat}
1/2 c. dried apricots, chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 c. hot chicken stock
2 tablespoons lemon juice
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2/3 c. slivered almonds, toasted
3 c. baby spinach
Balsamic vinegar to taste {not in the recipe but I always add to give the couscous a little extra moisture}

INSTRUCTIONS
Place the chicken and all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.  Cover and put in the refrigerator, and leave to marinate for up to 12 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Remove the chicken, place on a hot grill pan {or skillet}, and season with salt and pepper.  Cook on each side for 3 minutes before cooking in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

Meanwhile, put the couscous in a large bowl with the apricots, season with salt and black pepper, and mix well.  Pour the chicken stock over the couscous and cover immediately with a large plate to seal in the steam.  Leave for 10 minutes

Fluff up the couscous with a fork to separate the grains and stir in the lemon juice, olive oil, almonds, baby spinach, and feta.

Once the chicken is cooled, cut into thin strips, let cool, and fold into the couscous.  Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. Welp, I know what I'm making this weekend. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy! looks light and fresh and delicious. is Italy on the brain ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll definitely be making this for dinner sometime soon - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yum! I've been searching for healthy food lately, so this is perfect for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks yummy. Gonna try it. Thanks M!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks really good! and perfect for dinner with friends at home. Pinning it for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I'm totally stealing this :) Looks absolutely delicious (and healthy).

    I would like to invite you to participate in my international giveaway: http://bellapummarola.blogspot.it/2014/02/firmoo-international-giveaway.html
    Take a look and see if you like it :) Only takes a few seconds to participate and there will be 5 winners!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks julie, you'll have to let me know what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. so glad i could help inspire!
    let me know what you think jourdin :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes, it seems to always be on the brain :)
    i hope you have a lovely weekend erika!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you'll have to let me know what you think!
    hope you have a great weekend gloria :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. you're welcome!! let me know what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks so much bella!
    i will definitely enter your giveaway...those glasses are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks so much albertina!
    i hope you have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm so glad to have helped!
    thanks for stopping by maru, hope you have a lovely weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks so much for the sweet comment sarah!
    you'll have to let me know how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete