Thursday, February 27, 2014

Recipe :: Blackberry Lavender Scones

I remember being a little girl and my mom asking me to go out into the garden to pick some fresh rosemary for dinner.  Walking barefoot through the yard, I stopped to smell my favorite flowers and wander through the herb garden.  After a few tries I found the rosemary and ran inside to give it to my mom for the dish she was making.  As we sat down for dinner we bit into the tender grilled chicken and noticed it had a rather unique, floral flavor.  It was then my mom realized that I had grabbed the lavender, not rosemary, and subsequently one of my favorite childhood dishes, "Lavender Chicken," was created.

Years later, although I have finally learned the difference between rosemary and lavender, I still am drawn to the fragrant aroma of lavender.  While it may not be for everyone, I absolutely love the flavor and depth it brings to a recipe - especially baked goods.  So today I will be sharing with you one of my favorite scone recipes from Joy the Baker that I first made last year on Mother's Day.  This recipe can be adapted numerous ways, I am envisioning lemon poppy seed, strawberry rose petal, raspberry dark chocolate...the list goes on and on.  Enjoy!

Blackberry Lavender Scones {recipe via Joy the Baker}
Makes 10-12 large scones

INGREDIENTS
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon dried lavender
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup cold buttermilk
1 cup fresh blackberries
1 beaten egg and granulated sugar for sprinkling on top before baking

Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, lavender, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Cut in butter (using your fingers or a pastry cutter) until mixture resembles a coarse meal.  Work the butter into the dry ingredients until some of the butter flakes are the size of peas and some are the size of oat flakes.  

In another bowl, combine egg and buttermilk and beat lightly with a fork.  Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring enough to make a soft dough.  Fold in the blackberries.

Turn out onto a floured board and knead about 15 times.  Roll or pat out into a 1-inch thickness.  Cut into 2-inch rounds using a round cutter or cut into 2×2-inch squares.  Reshape and roll dough to create more scones with excess scraps.  Place on an ungreased baking sheet.  Brush lightly with beaten egg and sprinkle with granulated sugar.

Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown on top.  Serve warm.  Scones are best the day they’re made, and though they can be frozen and lightly reheated in the oven if you need a future treat.

13 comments:

  1. Oh scones make me miss St. Andrews so much, but especially clotted cream. Love the addition of lavender to Joy the Baker's recipe I bet it's a nice subtle floral flavor. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lavender chicken is so cute! I'd love a herb garden :) These look so pretty and I've been desperate to make something with lavender for ages now! Eating flowers and pretty plants seems so whimsical too! Is the lavender really strong? Thats the only thing putting me off trying it. Although the raspberry and dark chocolate sounds delicious! Xx

    Jenna || Jennafifi.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow those look delicious! I think I have to make them this weekend! I love lavender and rosemary!

    whatsarahknows

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo yummy!
    It looks delicious! Must try asap ;)
    xx
    Novella


    http://9lla.it/
    A fashion & DIY blog...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lavender! It's my favorite scent! Have you ever tried Giada's lavender and lemon cookies?? They're sooo good. Thanks for sharing. These scones look delicious!


    www.taffetaandtulips.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lavender? Hmm, I've definitely never used that in baking before, but the addition of blackberries makes me think I'd really like this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a sweet, sweet story! I love pondering over those childhood moments that are so special. These scones look absolutely delicious! I've always wanted to try my hands at making some, and I think I'll give it a try soon! Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm...yummy yummy yummy ! I'd gladly trade fish for this !

    xx
    Mooki Cat

    http://streetstylemooki.wordpress.com/
    Street Style from a Fashion Cat's Point of View

    ReplyDelete
  9. My friend, Tana (http://blog.tanagandhi.com/) also posted some photos of scones, and now I'm double craving scones! Blackberry lavender sounds heavenly...I've kind of been obsessed with lavender flavored treats, so I'm going to have to try this recipe out! Thanks for sharing, and for such yummy photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm, I saw this on Instagram and meant to say something about how gorgeous the photo was, but I must have gotten sidetracked! Lavender is so unexpected in a scone. I'll have to show this recipe to my mom - she'll love it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see we both had the same idea with a recipe post! I love scones, blackberries and lavender so these are definitely going to be made soon! Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! Always such lovely looking food. I love black berries and lavender is so delicate, I Must try!
    www.dancingthroughsunday.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay these looks absolutely delicious Molly! Thanks for sharing the recipe--this will be the one to try whenever I get to making them from scratch! I actually don't think I've ever tasted lavender besides maybe in macarons? It always smells so lovely though. :)

    ReplyDelete