Friday, March 21, 2014

Art :: Just Breathe


Happy Friday!  Today I'm guest blogging on Melinda's Musings, so make sure to stop by her blog to see my five favorite links from the week.  I am very much looking forward to our upcoming trip to Florida {only three more days!}  Ryan's cousin is getting married on the beach and his family decided to extend the trip for a family reunion, so we will be spending all next week in Clearwater Beach enjoying the sun and sand.  After this brutal winter, it will be a much welcomed getaway!  In the spirit of warm weather, today I wanted to share with you the work of one of my favorite artists, Samantha French.  I love the hyperrealistic look of her oil paintings, can't you just feel the warm sunshine and cool water on your skin?  From the artist...

"My current body of work is focused on swimmers underwater and above. Using vague yet consuming memories from my childhood summers spent immersed in the tepid lakes of northern Minnesota, I attempt to recreate the quiet tranquility of water and nature; of days spent sinking and floating, still and peaceful. These paintings are a link to my home and continual search for the feeling of the sun on my face and warm summer days at the lake. They are my escape, a subtle reprieve from the day-to-day. At the same time, I am drawn to an idealistic time before my own, where swim caps and wool swimsuits were commonplace. This combination of memory, observation and photography (old and new) has allowed me to preserve the transitory qualities of water and remembrance." 

Learn more about Samantha here and purchase her work here.  Have a great weekend!

Images via Samantha French

18 comments:

  1. these are lovely. so nostalgic and reminiscent of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just love these. as somewhat of an amateur painter i cannot imagine the workload here..but what beautiful results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHOA. I thought that first painting was a real photo! These are incredible!

    The Style Scribe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing art. Wouldn't mind that on my wall ;)

    Edita

    www.pret-a-reporter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read your guest post, its a great read. I absolutely love that interview with SJP, I hope you don't mind that I will be adding it to my monthly roundup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Florida - lucky girl!! I've never been. These paintings are so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are amazing!! What a talented artist! Thanks for sharing and have a great trip :)


    www.taffetaandtulips.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cool! Oh Florida, I could use some beach time right now, enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. Reminiscent of some of David Hockney's earlier work. Makes you feel the water and sun, the relaxed sensation of floating

    ReplyDelete
  10. Allie @ 6000 Miles to HomeMarch 21, 2014 at 2:28 PM

    I love this artist - the images are captivating, and yes - so refreshing!! enjoy the water this weekend ;)

    http://6000milestohome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are gorgeous and make me want to jump in a pool right now! Happy Weekend, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is pretty awesome, it makes me wish I had kept up with painting. I love the underwater effects.
    www.highheelstosneakers.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, these are so beautiful!! I can't help but wish I was able to jump into a great pool like that right now.

    xo Jackie

    Something About That

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christine DinsmoreMarch 22, 2014 at 1:24 AM

    i have been admiring her work lately too. so beautiful and enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These paintings are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, these are just divine! How incredible, she definitely captures the light underwater so well!

    ReplyDelete