Friday, May 10, 2013

Dream Homes

Happy Friday my dears!  I know I have mentioned this before, but I recently relocated to Indianapolis to be with my boyfriend of nearly 6 years {5 of which were spent in a long-distance relationship}.  I have been living in his one-bedroom apartment, but both of us agree it is time we up-size and find something a bit more permanent and "us."  While there are some features that are a necessity for us {hardwood floors, pre 1940, fireplace, at least two bedrooms} I am torn between the idea of downtown living versus a little cottage with a yard of our own. 

Typically when thinking about my dream home I go back and forth between living in a gorgeous, historic brownstone {read: Lincoln Park, NYC} and a cosy little bungalow surrounded by wild flowers.  Let's take a look, shall we?
The ideal downtown space for me would have high ceilings, huge windows, crown molding everywhere, original fireplaces {lots of them} and wood floors, chandeliers, and unique architectural details.  I would decorate it with gorgeous rugs, a mix of antique and modern furniture, ornate mirrors, and abstract art in a chic, feminine palette.
Or what about a cozy little bungalow?  This house would most certainly be yellow with a white picket fence and be surrounded by flowers, trees, and an amazing garden {yes, this would require me to be able to keep a plant alive longer than a week}.  I would definitely spruce up some of the walls with quirky wallpaper and vintage oil paintings, but would leave most of them simple and white.  I love a lived-in look, so I would fill my home with flea market finds, antique furniture and appliances {read: claw foot tub, iron bed, retro refrigerator}, tons of books, distressed white-washed wood floors, cozy textiles, and an abundance of fresh flowers.

So what do you think?  Would you rather live in an elegant townhouse or a quaint little cottage?  Or if we are really feeling adventurous, why not both a city house and a country home?

Images via {1] {2} {3} {4} {5} {6} {7} {8} {9} {10} {11} {12}

21 comments:

  1. Wow. Beautiful inspiration pieces. What an exciting time for you! I totally get being torn...I'm so right there with you. Currently, I'm in a bungalow! It's old...we are renovating...it's a lot of work,..but fun and gratifying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, there's nothing i like better than renovating old homes :)
      i'd love to see pictures of your place someday!

      Delete
  2. beautiful pictures! I find myself having two types of dream homes: a modest cottage and a minimal mid century modern home. Its a dream of mine to own a cottage I can rent out at the beach. I especially like the photo of the white kitchen with the black pendant. xo julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a toughy...! I currently live in NYC in an apartment in a cute little neighborhood, but am really missing having a yard...Maybe you could compromise and find a brownstone or nice apartment with a yard or yard access? Love all the photos as inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would be the perfect scenario!
      thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. hope you'll find something for you sonn! there are just too many possibilites
    good luck!

    x
    http://www.worryaboutitlaterr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know, it's a bit overwhelming...but i feel confident we will find the perfect place for us :)
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. These are all so beautiful... love that kitchen at the top, with the white island in the middle. beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. can I please move in? all of these are gorgeous!

    love from San Francisco,Britt+Whit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful houses! I love them all.

    -Vogue&Heels
    www.vogueandheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. They all look so cozy!

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    xx

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! :)
    Please,visit:
    http://cocotattoo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have chosen beautiful photos - you got me dreaming about my ideal house, too! I love the 'lived in' look, shabby chic, mismatched chairs, wooden tables, colourful accents etc. But then I really enjoy looking at interiors that are a bit modern, 'clean', and without many colours. I don't know how I will decide to decorate my future house, too many great ideas to choose from! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know, it's almost overwhelming with the plethora of choices!!

      Delete
  11. I am in love with the first house. The interior is impeccable!!

    http://heydahye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm so glad you like it! thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete