Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Travel :: Portofino, Italy

Is it possible to take too many pictures?  If it is, I might have done so on our trip to Italy.  Because it seems I almost completely missed the photos from our day in the jewel of the Italian Rivera - Portofino.  On our last day in the Cinque Terre we took the train to Portofino to spend the day exploring with some old family friends.  We grabbed a quick lunch and some gelato in town then walked to a church high above the harbor for an absolutely gorgeous view of the lush coast littered with out of this world villas.  The Rolex Sailing Race was the next day so the harbor was littered with gorgeous sailboats including one stunning boat over 200 feet long {you can see it in the photo, it literally looks like it is almost as big as the entire harbor}.   

From there we decided to head to the infamous Hotel Splendido for the afternoon {see my blog post about the hotel here}.  And I'm pleased to say it was everything I expected, and more.  We grabbed drinks at the outdoor bar high above the harbor.  I had their famous Bellini {a whopping 28 Euros!} which I will have to admit was most certainly the best I have tasted.  After enjoying some drinks we wandered around their gorgeous grounds {I can only imagine how magical the gardens would be at twilight} and admired the hotel's deco design {in LOVE with that wallpaper}.  In the evening we took the train back to Sestri Levante for dinner with our friends.  Ryan ate the famous Steak Florentine {luckily he had Joe there to share it with, as with me being a non-meat eater he was out of luck for the rest of the trip}.  It was an absolutely wonderful day and I would love to go back to Portofino sometime and spend a few more days there.

More photos from our Italian adventures: GenoaLuccaThe Cinque TerreManarolaRiomaggioreHiking the Cinque TerreThe Cinque Terre at NightAgriturismo La Sovana, Villa Cicolina.  Follow Dreams in HD on bloglovin' here.

6 comments:

  1. So beautiful! No words could express my jealousy :)
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly {Dreams in HD}October 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM

    thanks TJ! i felt the same way about your beautiful travels through germany :) why can't we always be traveling!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Short and Sweet BlogOctober 16, 2013 at 3:32 PM

    Oh my goodness. You can never take too many photos while in Italy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous photos! im defiantly putting portofino on my to-visit list! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molly {Dreams in HD}October 23, 2013 at 9:53 AM

    that's always my philosophy when takings photos - you might as well take too many and delete when you get home. nothing worse than realizing you didn't get the shot after it's too late!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how I love Portofino, you got some great photos!!

    ReplyDelete