Wednesday, October 24, 2012

An American Girl in Paris

I arrived in Paris this morning feeling excited {and a bit jet-lagged}.  I took the shuttle into the city, and immediately fell in love with my adorable flat in Le Marais {will post photos later}.  After a short nap, I went outside armed with my camera and a few Euros and spent the entire afternoon getting lost in the 4th arrondissement.  The Place de Vosges was the highlight of my day, and I must have spent over an hour in this beautiful place simply taking in the sights -- a grandmother doting on her little one, children feeding bits of baguette to pigeons, golden leaves falling softly to the ground.  It truly feels like an oasis in the middle of the city.
I stumbled into a small courtyard near Place de Vosges, which was again exquisitely beautiful.   
 Of course, a day in Paris wouldn't be complete without a pastry {or two}.  I stopped into a chocolatier who sold macaroons by the bushel, I picked up one for now and a few for later.  They also had adorable Halloween displays of ghosts, vampires, etc. all made out of chocolate.
 Everywhere you look there is more beauty than the eye can comprehend.  Boats going along the seine, a building with a gold chevron steeple, random little street markets in front of ridiculously ornate buildings, and the cathedral of Notre Dame peaking out behind beautiful Haussmann-style apartments.

8 comments:

  1. Great photos - what a way to start a vacation. Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks dad, it was a great first day!
      ps - glad you figured out how to comment :)

      Delete
    2. Tres bien, Molly. Absolutely gorgeous photos and a lovely description of your first day. I can tell you are in your element...

      Delete
    3. merci chéri. i am totally in my element, you should have seen me today. i spent the afternoon today with a few gals i met {from South Africa, Germany, Taiwan, and the UK} and completely navigated us through the city. i may actually become a tour guide in the next week and charge you for my services when you get here :)

      Delete
  2. Molly, these are beautiful! You have no idea how jealous I am of you right now + how happy I am that you took a camera :)
    PS - you must tell me how you added your instagram photos to your side bar! That is something I haven't been able to figure out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much amanda! i borrowed my mom's fancy camera for the trip, so i'm basically trying to teach myself how to use it as i go :)

      as far as putting instagram on the side bar, i actually just used a tutorial i found online. try this, let me know if it works for you http://snapcreativity.com/instagram-blogger-sidebar/

      Delete
  3. Molly, how exciting! First of all, had no idea you started a blog. Secondly, have a FABULOUS trip. What a dream!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. liz - thank you SO much! i just started the blog a few weeks ago, partly to have a place to share photos of my trip. glad to see you're doing so well - i absolutely LOVE your blog, so proud of you for how what you have done!

      Delete