Monday, May 5, 2014

Travel :: Boccadasse, Italy


Happy Monday!  I hope you had a nice weekend.  We caught up with old friends and spent Sunday relaxing and reading.  I'm sorry that it has been pretty quiet in this neck of the woods over the past couple of weeks.  Life caught up to me and I have been struggling to find time to fit it all in!  But I have committed to invest in more "me time," which means bringing Dreams in HD back to where I want it to be!  And first things first, let's talk about travel.

In September of 2013 Ryan and I took a fantastic two and a half week trip to Italy.  We flew into Genoa and decided to spend the night there to give us a day to catch up to the time change and allow us to wake rested and refreshed for our train ride to the Cinque Terre.  We didn't have high expectations for Genoa - the guide book called it "dank, dark, and dangerous" {a winning combination}, but surprisingly found it to be quite enjoyable.

Our favorite part of Genoa?  A small fisherman's village about 20 minutes outside of the city center called Boccadasse.  While asking our hotel's concierge for restaurant recommendations a fellow traveler mentioned that she spent the first 40 years of her life in Genoa and told us to take a bus to Boccadasse for dinner.  Not expecting much, we hopped out of the bus and were just able to catch the sunset over the sea.  After a five minute walk we stumbled upon the village, and we were absolutely awe-struck!  

Boccadasse is in a tiny cove surrounded by colorful little buildings built up on the rocks.  We wandered down to the beach and stopped at a little bar for happy hour and to drink a glass of wine sitting in the sand.  Afterwards we had a delicious seafood dinner under the stars.  But the best part of the night?  We were the only Americans there.  Boccadasse seemed absolutely untouched by tourism and felt totally, 100% authentic.  It reminded me of the Cinque Terre but without the crowds and the tours.  If you ever fly into Genoa I'd highly recommend staying a day to visit Boccadasse!

17 comments:

  1. Hi! I keep seeing you pop up on blogs I read, and I'm not sure why I've never popped over! I'm so glad I did! We're headed to Italy in just over a month (after a stop in Greece first), and your pictures are getting me so excited. We're headed to the Amalfi Coast, and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't is so great how sometimes your favorite memories from vacations are the things you didn't plan and instead things that you just seem to come across.
    As always your pictures are gorgeous, especially that top photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. adore all the colorful buildings! Gorgeous!

    The Style Scribe

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos are gorgeous! SO jealous of your traveling life! : )


    Kayla
    www.lovelucygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how gorgeous! I still haven't made it over to Liguria but if I do get to go this year, I'll make sure to stop by xxx


    la-lingua.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Short and Sweet BlogMay 5, 2014 at 10:46 AM

    Aren't those small intimate villages the best? Ah Italia! Wish I was there now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of Boccadasse before! That's so cool that you were able to stumble onto some place non-touristy that you really ended up enjoying. I've never been to the Cinque Terre region of Italy but I would love to go one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These images are beautiful. Don't worry, we all struggle to commit to life, me time and blogging!

    Sophie x

    www.yourgirlislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Genoa looks amazing and these photos are lovely, especially the first one, just stunning! Me time is especially important, so I am happy that you are taking some! I need to leran to be able to do that myself! Glad to see you posting again!

    rae of love from berlin

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wao! I had not heard of this town...it looks so beautiful!! Italy is one of my favorite countries...I could go every year to a different part.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christine DinsmoreMay 5, 2014 at 11:46 PM

    as always your photos are just breathtaking. i love that you see blogging as "me time," i do too. sometimes i feel i need a break (and we all do sometimes), but when i take one i always realize how cathartic it is and i end up missing it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Allie @ 6000 Miles to HomeMay 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM

    ahh love these photos - takes me right back to Italia! thanks for sharing the colors :)

    http://6000milestohome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Italy is definitely on my list; thanks for the suggestion!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  14. Italy is at the top of my travel list! I love small towns and fisherman's villages, so this place is right up my alley - it looks SO cute! I need to bookmark this for when I do travel there! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Breathtaking!!!! as usual!

    x Lily
    http://whilemyboyfriendsaway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. New Reader here. These are lovely photos. Looks like you guys had a great time! Another place to add to the Eurotrip :)
    Xo, Corazón
    http://llipstickwithcoffee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete